First the good news, mild exposure to sunlight is essential for human body, as it is a source of vitamin-D. And now the bad news, too much exposure or over exposure to sunlight is harmful to your skin. To protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun, melanin production increases, resulting in sun tanning. When our body is exposed to the UV rays of the sun for a long time, the rays tend to penetrate to the lower layer of the skin called epidermis. The UV rays in the epidermis trigger cells called Melanocytes to produce Melanin. Melanin is the brown pigment that causes tanning.
Lets look at the some anti-oxidant rich remedies, that reduce the inflammatory effects of skin tan and repair the damage caused by UV rays.
- Take a cup of plain yogurt, add the juice of 1 cucumber, add the juice of 1 tomato, add ½ cup of gram flour also known as besan.
- Mix this well.
- Apply this on your face and neck.
- Leave it as it is for about 30 to 45 minutes and rinse it off with luke warm water.
- Do this twice a week.
Yougurt tightens the skin pores locked by tanning. It is also very effective in minimizing the sun tan as it cools the skin and reduces redness.
- Take 2 table spoons of fresh cucumber juice, add one table spoon of lime juice and add1/4th a spoon of turmeric or a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mix this well.
- Apply this on the affected skin.
- Leave it as it is for 30 minutes and then wash it off with water.
- Do this once daily.
Note: Cucumbers have a cooling effect that suits the skin and helps eliminate sun tan. The vitamin C in cucumbers help the skin moisturized and also acts as a natural bleach.
Avoid for long exposure to the skin.
Always make sure you wear a sun screen lotion whenever you go out in the sun.