When the hair loses its natural pigmentation at an early age, it is called premature greying.
Since grey hair is associated with old age, it causes a lot of embarrassment and stress to the affected person. However, there are various factors which contributes to premature greying.
- Bad dietary habits and stress decrease the flow of nutrients to the scalp, resulting in greying of hair.
- Deficiency of vitamins and minerals like iron, biotin, copper, iodine and vitamin B also lead to premature greying.
- Often people unknowingly contribute to this condition by not cleaning their scalp regularly.
- Using very hot water during hair wash.
- Too much blow drying
- And regularly using hair dye also aggravates greying of hair.
- Sometimes premature greying is also hereditary.
- It is caused due to reduced production of melanin.
- Melanin is the pigment that gives its hair the black color.
- It can also be caused by the hydrogen peroxide built up in the air.
- Medical condition can also trigger greying of hair.
There are certain home remedies which can help prevent premature greying:
- Take the paste of a few Indian goose berries also known as amla.
- Apply this paste on your scalp.
- And leave it for 15 to 20 mins.
- After which wash your hair with normal water.
- Not only it will reduce greying of hair but will also improve the quality of your hair.
- Take 3 tbsps of coconut oil in a frying pan, add a few crushed curry leaves.
- Allow it to heat for about 5 to 10 mins, strain the mixture and collect the oil.
- Allow this oil to cool down till its lukewarm.
- And massage your scalp gently with this oil.
- Take 1 tbsp of lemon juice, add 2 tsps of almond oil, mix it well.
- Apply this on your scalp and massage gently.
- Massaging your scalp with warm mustard or coconut oil helps prevent premature greying.
- Take 2 tbsps of henna powder, add 3 tbsps of Indian gooseberry powder also known as amla, add about 3 tsps of yogurt, mix this well to make a hair mask.
- Spread this evenly on your hair, after it dries, rinse it out and then shampoo your hair as usual.
- Repeat this once every 2-4 weeks.
- Henna is the best natural hair color.
- Unlike commercial hair colors, it has no side effects.
- Additionaly it gives a natural looking even color to the hair so it doesn’t look artificially colored.
- Infact it even contributes to the hair’s lusture and strength.
- Take 3 crushed onions, extract its juice.
- Massage it on your scalp.
- Leave it for about 30 mins to an hour.
- Rinse it out and wash it with shampoo.
- Repeat the process daily for few weeks.
- Onions prevent greying caused by hydrogen peroxide built up.
- Remember if you are using lot of hair styling products or harsh chemical treatments, balance them out with proper nourishment such as oiling and conditioning.
- Running is the best exercise that helps to flow the nutrients to the scalp.